Monday, October 30, 2006

ACE Camp Day 3 Part 2

So yep Campfire was cancelled. But the rain fizzled out andwe went up to the teacher's house for some performances. ZOMG, and that was when it happened.

Mr. Soo dragged me to a room and said, "Okay Aaron, you've got 30 mins to come up with 2 magic items to perform for the crowd." I was stunned. Cause i wasn't even prepared at all. No mental prep done yet. Mental prep is essential to ensure you do not screw up the performance. In fact i did not even have a deck of cards or anything to perform. And he handed me his deck. I begged, pleaded, grovelled but Mr. Soo insisted i had to perform. And i hurried away to practise and spice up my presentation. Well, i would be okay performing for say 7-10 people? But there were 100+ of them there. And i was using cards as my props and cards are very hard to see from all the way back. I had to project my voice all the way back. And this was my very first time performing for so many people. I was pretty nervous while practising.

But when i went out there, i was more of less stablised. I just went out after Mr. Soo introduced me. Actually i kinda walked out WHILE he was introducing me. Woots. So after that everything flowed like clockwork. Most went according to plan. I had enough time to bond with the audience without making it draggy. And i did not stumble on words and my voice was loud enough. I was in my comfort zone. Thank god.
It was freaky when people mentioned the Commando as my first volunteer. I mean, shaking his hand? he could crush my fingers in a single grip.l But luckily it was Gaffa, who reminds me of Ashraf. Gaffa was trying to heckle in a joking way throughout me and Mr. Soo's performance.

But i gotta thank Mr. Soo for giving me this opportunity to perform in front of so many people. I learned a lot about crowd control and everything. Magic is that kind of art where if you screw up, you don't get a second chance. Unlike other forms like say..Dance. If you fall, no one will say anything. In magic, it's either you get boo-d or you salvage it. Yep! This was the best time of my camp.

Oh to people who viewed my performance, please leave some honest feedback of it on the tagboard. Like voice, presentation, bonding etc., so i can improve on the showmanship part. Thanks!! =))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home